Sunday, December 12, 2004

New Releases: Corporate Crap

Sometimes I think the major record labels just release junk because they don't have anything else to do - or they think the consumers will buy it no matter what. Who makes these decisions anyway.

Here are the latest releases from Rock, Alternative, Hot AC, Modern, and AC that I have to pick from along with my decisions on whether they will be aired on Rockland USA or not:

  1. BARENAKED LADIES f/ SARAH MCLAUGHLIN/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings (Reprise) : What do you think my decision is with this one. LOL. Listen, I'm all about a good Christmas carol but not this one. Obvious attempt to make some money off a holiday tune. Only an all Christmas playlist station would play this crap.
  2. BOB RIVERS/Walkin’ ‘Round In Women’s Underwear (Lava/Atlantic) : Ah yes, Bob Rivers. You know I do have some of his tracks on Rockland but even Bob is getting a little old. Kind of like how Wierd Al got old. I may throw this in on the actual Christmas Special airing Christmas Eve and all day Christmas. I need fillers. This track is amusing the first time you hear it but old the second.
  3. JET/Back Door Santa (Lava/Atlantic) : Finally, a good rock version of a classic song. I think the last artist to sing this song was Bon Jovi? This is a definite new addition to the station - a holiday track that doesn't sound like a holiday track. Get it?
  4. JEWEL/Winter Wonderland (Lava/Atlantic) : I think most guys agree that Jewel's pretty hot. This track is much too slow to be on the station though, sorry babe.
  5. KILLERS/Mr. Brightside (IDJMG) : When VH1 played their last song (to death might I add) they said 'The Killers are the best thing to come out of Sin City' meaning Las Vegas. Funny thing is my friends in Las Vegas have never heard of them. Marketing gimmick? Track is ok I guess, have to consider it later and see how it does on the charts. Don't think it will climb far.
  6. ROB THOMAS/New York Christmas (Lava/Atlantic) : This was a release from last year but the record companies thought it wise in marketing to re-release it after only one year? What's up with that. Yeah I'm gonna add it because it fits into the genre of the station. Rob Thomas was the lead singer for the now split Matchbox Twenty.
  7. MOTLEY CRUE/If I Die Tomorrow (IDJMG) : The 'crew' has reunited. That's cool. More hype than substance in my opinion. Their new track just reminds me that some bands should just stay in retirement. What, you reunited because you ran out of dope money?
  8. STRATA/Never There (Wind-Up) : Not real familiar with these guys. I'm sure it's a great pure rock song but doesn't pass my '30 second pleasure' test. Not adding.
  9. U2/All Because Of You (Interscope) : Actually I already have this posted into the playlist with reservation. I'm not all that excited about this track but added it thinking it will probably end up in the top 20 ranks because of the 'Vertigo' hype. Monitoring how this does with the listeners.

PLAYLIST KEY: WILL BE ADDING / THINKING ABOUT IT / NOT IN YOUR LIFE

Don't agree with me on my selections? Post your comments.


No comments: